30 Days In Atlanta: Exclusive with scriptwriter, Patrick 'Koinage' Nnamani


30 Days In Atlanta, the star-studded, romantic comedy movie which has been a sensation in the movie scene for awhile, co-produced by Dr. Kullah and Ayo 'AY' Makun who also happens to be the main character in the movie. Naijaspiration was delighted to interview the prolific script writer of the movie, he goes by the name, Patrick
Ikechukwu Nnamani, popularly called Patrick 'Koinage' Nnamani, Koinage Media, being the name of his company. It was an interesting conversation, he's an inspiration to countless aspiring writers out there. Below are excerpts from the interview...

 NJP: Do you see script writing as a profession or a passion? How did it begin?

 PKN: Writing for me was and is a passion, it comes easily to me. Before it started as a profession, some friends who saw my work,loved it and encouraged me to write professionally. It didn't kick off until i hooked up with some friends that were associated with the crew of a campus magazine. They needed an editor, that was how it began. One of the people i worked with, Amobi, became my partner in starting our own magazine and other platforms, which are still running. I met Moses Inwang, a director, through him, i did some work for him, got introduced to Juliet Ibrahim through Moses, on Juliet's set, I met AY. So, it's from one step to another, I'll encourage aspiring writers to continue striving, there's no shortcut to success. Along the line, they may get cheated, but with consistency and excellence, one door opens to another. 
 
NJP: How many scripts have you written, which was your most challenging?

 PKN: I can't count the number of scripts right now, but, I've done quite a number. A handful of them have been released, some have been shot, in the next one year, more will be released. All of them had their challenges, some involved research, some came naturally but needed extra effort. 

 NJP: What was it like writing the screenplay for 30 days In Atlanta?

 PKN: It started with a script for Juliet Ibrahim, there was a character created in the script and Juliet suggested AY was the man for the role, he saw the script and loved it. I came on set in Ghana as assistant director and AY told me he wanted a funny, crazy story. So, when we got back from Accra, we began talking about it. AY gave me a story and I embellished the story into a script. I sent the 1st draft to him, we made some changes until the final draft.

 NJP: Where you on set for 30 days in Atlanta? 

 PKN: The movie was shot in Lagos and Atlanta, I was on set in Lagos as assistant director, but, there were delays by the agent for my trip to Atlanta. However, 30 days In Atlanta was nominated for 11 categories in GIAMA awards in Houston, Texas, I was nominated for best screenplay, so, i went to Houston for the awards. 
 


NJP: Where would you like to be in terms of screenplay in the nearest future?

 PKN: I would like to be globally recognized, the entertainment industry is growing in leaps and bounds, I'm also growing along with it. The sky will be the starting point for Koinage Media, i want to maintain excellence.

NJP: Some ladies would like to know if you are married... 

 PKN: (Laughs) Yes, I'm married, November, this year. 

 NJP: Which other movies should viewers watch out for? 

 PKN: Breaking Ranks, starring Nse Ikpe-Etim, then, A Tale Of 2 Thieves, Bambitious and Folly; which won 4 awards at the Cross-river movie awards. It premiered in New-York and it's premiering in Lagos in December this year.

 NJP: It's been awesome having this chat, thanks for your time. 

 PKN: My pleasure. 
 

4 comments:

  1. The movie was really funny and i loved the combination of both countries. i hope there is more to come. Nice one AY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious movie... Shii cracks mi up 4rm start 2 end...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pls all, I need the contact of Patrick Ikechukwu Nnamani, have a story I would love us to develop. My details are:

    Name: Shadrach Ogiriki

    No.: 07031197452

    Email: shadrachogiriki@yahoo.com


    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shall forward his email to you!

    ReplyDelete